18
Sep

Xcel Energy Update for Longmont

Even though access to some areas and communities remains difficult and Xcel anticipates full restoration of natural gas service to take longer than customers expect, some progress is being made as roads are cleared, waters recede and sites are safe for crews to enter.

If you are in an area that may be flooded or if you may be evacuated from your home, please do not attempt to disconnect your natural gas or electricity service yourself. Xcel crews have the training and skills to do that safely.

If you are returning to a home or business that was affected by floods, please take extra precautions. Your natural gas meter might have been submerged in flood waters, and that means Xcel must check it prior to restoring gas service. Please do not attempt to turn on the natural gas yourself.

If the controls or any operating components on natural gas appliances were submerged, a trained service professional must inspect it. Manufacturers warn that these appliance components will corrode over time, causing gas valve failure, improper combustion and dangerous natural gas leaks.

Please remember that, if you detect a sulfur or “rotten egg” smell inside your home, it could be the odorant put in natural gas to help detect leaks.

If you notice that smell, leave your home immediately. Do not turn any electrical devices on or off and never use any phone until you are outside and safely away from the area. Then call 911 or call Xcel at 1-800-895-2999.

Stay away from downed power lines and assume they are energized. Call 911 or call Xcel at 1-800-895-1999 if you are an Xcel customer, or call 303-776-0011 if you are an Longmont Power & Communications customer to report downed or damaged power lines.

 More information about how to stay safe during natural gas outages caused by floods is available on xcelenergy.com.

Social Media

Back to Top